Saturday 13 April 2019

Testing the Rudy Project Tralyx Sunglasses


By Keith and Heather Nicol 
   I am always on the lookout for great quality sunglasses that are easy to use and built to last. In the past I have had many sunglasses which broke after a few lens changes, that were too tight on the temples or slipped of my nose when I was working up a sweat.  So when I discovered that Rudy Project sunglasses were very adjustable and had a clever way of changing lenses I was more than ready to test them out. As a ski instructor I am on snow lots over the winter season so need a pair of sunglasses that can also take every day use.
The ski season started with teaching at Silver Star-Sovereign Lake Nordic Supercamps
 I have been using Rudy’s Tralyx sunglasses for several months of winter time activities. My first
Backcountry skiing near Mt Washington

impressions are that they do everything they say and then some. First of all, they are have many adjustments to fit every face. I find the flexible temple arms particularly useful since they can adjusted to fit under a ski or bike helmets and over ski toques. The nose piece is also adjustable but I really liked how easy it was to change lenses. Just snap one lens out and put in another better suited to the weather.  I found this very handy when skiing and teaching at Mt Washington near Courtenay on Vancouver Island, Canada since you can have foggy conditions in the morning give way to blue bird skies in the afternoon. I tested both the dark lens as well as their photochromic lens which allows various levels of light transmission depending on the weather. They worked great and are guaranteed for life. Rudy Project makes a variety of other lenses for the Tralyx which I am keen to try out.
Taking a corner on the xc trails at Mt Washington Ski Resort


Another thing I liked about these sunglasses was their wrap around lenses. This protects your eyes not only from direct UV radiation from the sun but also UV reflected from the snow and off of clouds which might come in at many different angles. So they are ideal for skiers or anyone else that does winter activities. 
Fat biking at Mt Washington
 Overall after 4 months of testing I can give these glasses great marks-they are my go to glasses for just about all situations.  Rudy Project is an Italian Company which also sells bike helmets and goggles.  For more information on Rudy Project see: www.rudyprojectna.com   
On the slopes at Mt Washington
 






No comments:

Post a Comment